Live Webinar on Child Support: What Payroll Doesn’t Know Can Hurt You
- Speaker:Vicki M. Lambert
- Date: 6th October 2016 10:00 AM PDT | 01:00 PM EDT
- Product Code:GRC-90051
To bring a national standard to child support withholding laws, the Federal government has enacted laws that require states to adopt certain rules when setting their own standards for implementing child support requirements. These requirements include deadlines for withholding and remitting payments, filing procedures, and penalties and fines for violations. But the states are free to set up their own rules and regulations as long as they fall within those guidelines and many do differ from the minimum federal requirements. Payroll departments must know both the federal laws and the state laws and must determine which one applies to the child support withholding order.
In addition to these laws and regulations, the federal rules now require that a standard Income Withholding Order (IWO) be used for all child support withholding garnishments. This webinar will review this form and its requirements. And although the IWO can include all the information necessary to comply with the order, employers must familiarize themselves with both federal and state regulations to avoid penalties and liabilities. In addition, state law may address some issues the federal law is silent on such as allowing for the collection of administration fees and how to calculate child support withholding when the employee does not have enough money to cover all support orders in effect. But withholding monies for child support is not the only requirement that applies to providing for a child, medical support orders are required to be process by payroll as well. And these orders have their own rules and regulations on both the federal and state level. In addition, this webinar will give examples of calculating child support.
This webinar focuses on child support garnishments and includes best practices for processing all garnishments but especially child support in a payroll department. The webinar includes the rules and regulations governing child support as well as calculation examples.
Areas Covered in the Webinar:
• How to define child support garnishments
• The federal requirements a payroll department must know for child support
• How state requirements affect child support
• Specific requirements for child support, including deduction limits, deadlines, filing procedures, administrative fees, and penalties/fines for violations
• How to handle terminated employees in regard to child support
• Best practices for communicating with employees and issuing parties
• Which garnishment to take when an employee has current support orders, medical support orders, and arrearages
• Examples of how to calculate the withholding and prioritize the order of distribution when an employee has more than one type of garnishment
• Best practices for processing child support garnishments in the payroll department
• How to go paperless with child support by receiving electronic withholding orders and paying by EFT
• In-depth discussion of the latest OCSE withholding notice
Who will Benefit:
• Payroll Professionals
• Human Resources
• Accounting Personnel
• Business Owners
• Lawmakers, Attorneys, or any individual or entity that must deal with the complexities and technicalities within the payroll process
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor™, a firm specializing in payroll education and training. The company’s website http://www.thepayrolladvisor.com offers a payroll news service which keeps payroll professionals up-to-date on the latest rules and regulations.
With over 35 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over 20 years as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues. She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today.
A pioneer in electronic and online education, Ms. Lambert produces and presents payroll related audio seminars, webinars and webcasts for clients, APA chapters and business groups throughout the country. Ms. Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California and is the creator of and instructor for their Practical Payroll Online program, which is approved for recertification hours by the APA. She is also the Program Developer, Subject Matter Expert (SME), and Facilitator for the Certificate in Payroll Practice and Management Program offered by Cengage Learning / Ed2Go through hundreds of colleges and universities across the country.
For more details:- https://www.grcts.com/GRC-90051